Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The "Windows 95" Generation

A visit from Rob's twin daughters and the research I have been conducting on social networking and integration got me thinking about the way I was raised. I lovingly refer to my generation as the "Windows 95" generation since I was in grade school when this began to errupt. This generation growing up now uses computers as part of their daily life. They will never experience using a typewriter for their report or what life was like before everyone had a cell phone. A cell phone... what would life be like without one?

Looking back, the first experience I had with a cell phone was seeing the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X on the Saved by the Bell television series. From that time, the cell phone has morphed from something you only elite people had into an everyday necessity. Upon release in 1983, the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X cost consumers a whopping $4,000 whereas a few of the most popular cell phones (iPhone, Blackberry, LG Glimmer, etc.) are at most $1,000.

At least some products are going down in price over the last 20 years!

No comments: