Monday, June 2, 2008

Sorry fellas, this one is for the ladies.


Like many women, I went to see Sex and the City this weekend. Admittingly, I am a huge fan of the show but was sad to hear one of the characters mention in an interview that someone in the show dies in the movie. This was not something I was looking forward to!

Details of the movie aside, the show ended and... no one died. Why would someone (let alone of the actresses on the show) start this horrible rumor? Then I laughed to myself, the plot of the movie was kept so hush-hush that they could start this rumor and people would run out on opening weekend to see just who died. The movie's director, Michael Patrick King, denied these rumors saying, "It's a summer movie," he said. "Why would I want to kill anyone?"

Fans still wanted to know. Not only did it finish in the number one spot this weekend but an astounding $55.7 million dollars, almost half of that (a cool $26 million) on Friday alone.

So, what happened? I won't tell you what happened but I will tell you no one dies. I believe this "rumored-death-marketing-stunt" had some influence in people coming out to see the movie - I know I was one of them.

-Katy

No comments: