Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Loyalty was bought

If you haven't already read my previous blog on fan loyalty for sale, please click here to catch up.

Today marks the second full day of Alex Chatfield being a full-blown fan of a team other than the Cleveland Indians. He has written a blog about his experience in placing his loyalty up for sale on his MySpace page.

I have to admit, I was skeptical of just why he did this. But, after reading his blog I do have a better understanding of why he would do this - not saying that I would ever do it, but I empathize.

Alex provides a moving story of going to Cleveland Municipal Stadium back when there were only a few thousand fans in the seats and knowing "the trick" of talking to the players during the 5th inning.

Although the team is not revealed, I have requested him as a friend on MySpace (per his eBay auction notes) to get the low down for you, our loyal readers.

By the way, the part of this that is especially interesting is that Alex doesn't even live in Ohio! He lives in Davenport, Florida and is originally from Middlefield, Ohio.

Does this make you want to market yourself (or your company) in some crazy, off beat way? Share your thoughts.

-Katy

1 comment:

Buckaye said...

Well of course I have to add Kudo's to this blog! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog for the reasoning behind my controversial auction. I have received both fan mail and hate mail from Cleveland fans as well as fans from other teams. The truth is, you're right! I have not even lived in Cleveland since 1995 and I have watched more games than most people in Cleveland have!

If you haven't already, please take the time to read my blog. The truth is, while MLB pats itself on the back for creating a sport that is balanced, they have done no such thing. Teams can compete, this is true... but the way clubs assemble their teams is anything but balanced.

Thanks again, I look forward to more heated discussion. Until then... as I am contractually obligated to say... go Cubs!